Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Barracas

This quiet corner of Barracas, a neighborhood adjacent to La Boca, is sandwiched between railroad tracks and an elevated freeway. A number of years ago, the painter Marino Santamaría decided to paint his house with bright colors and playful patterns. Neighbors liked it so much, I guess, that now most of the houses on the pasaje Lanín and a few surrounding streets have similarly flamboyant facades.

Last year I went halfway across town to visit my favorite barber in Buenos Aires: Román Lamas, a fourth-generation barber from Galicia who has been cutting hair at the same locale (1991 Suárez, Barracas) for nearly 50 years. After cutting my hair to Wagner, he took me outside and showed me around.

On Sunday I went back, armed with a camera.



2 Comments:

Blogger Satamarina said...

I´ve never been there, but I know that Barracas will be the extension of San Telmo in the near future.

I´m still waiting a post of me, your title say People, and I´m one of those

kisses

6:20 PM  
Blogger Brandán Buenosayres said...

Nena, en cuanto me cortes el pelo, yo pongo un perfil de la santísima santamarina en esta página. Te lo prometo.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home